Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sucre

10 Days in Sucre. 10 days well spent. 300,000 person white-walled town was a tranquil setting for more spanish lessons, volunteering, $1 lunches, my first South America professional soccer match and 4 am nights at the gringo bars and discotecas. Shared a room with Shaker (guy from Detroit who is one of the few Americans I´ve meet during the travels and even one of the fewer that I would want to travel with).


The Market



One of the most amazing things I´ve ever seen. Heaps of fruits, veggies, meats, juices all grouped together in their respective family, stretching a whole city block and 3 floors in height.

Prepared lunches ranging from $1 - 2 that is a heaping homemade Bolivian meal. The challenge is fighting off the women trying to lure you in to eating at their table without viewing the whole runway first.


My Casera (women I always got my fresh strawberry juice from for 40 cents for 2 glasses).

The Orphanage
Volunteered in an orphanage of 40 boys, Hogar Sucre, where I played futbol with the kids, helped with homework in subjects that I had hoped I would never see again, and continued my assult of awful Spanish speaking across the Sud Americas.


An amazing facility, especially in terms of the offerings provided in this "3rd world" country. From what I understood, when the kids turn 10 they learn how to work in the metal shop (welding, scuplting, etc) and the wood shop. There is a field of corn and other plants where the kids learn agriculture and I saw many of them weaving (all in addition to going to school). There also are 2 futbol fields, a horse and 3 dogs roaming around. By American standards there are a lot of dangers for the kids to grow up with, but its refreshing to see a place not safty proofing life from an early age.


I gave my camera to the kids and most of the pictures are from them.




The clothes often are "overly worn" and the shoes most likely lack shoe like qualities, but besides this and a different language, the similarities between kids here and there has never been clearer. The same excitement with life, hope and goodness exists within their actions and eyes. It´s even more impressive to embody this spirit with the life many of them have experienced.

Next
Arrived in La Paz this morning and will likely stretch out the birthday celebrations for a few days while touring this city that reaches into the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment